Lemon Cream Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups are my way to embrace the goodness of food instead of the lies of my eating disorder.
Perspective on food changes considerably when you move from being afraid of it to embracing it. I decided this: if my blog is dedicated to fighting the lies Satan tells us, then I’m going to include food under that theme. I believed way too many lies about food for way too many years, so now, I’m going to celebrate food instead.
Ok, honestly, I’ve already been celebrating food for the last 2 and a half years as I’ve let go of all the rules I had tied to what went in my mouth. The words “calorie count” rarely even pass through my brain anymore. I never think of food as calories to be counted or calories to be burned. I learned that food fits into a balanced tally system each day. I don’t need my tallies to help me eat anymore like I did during eating disorder treatment and the months after in recovery. But now, I use my tallies subconsciously to keep me healthy.
There is freedom in not putting limitations or restrictions or rules on food, but following my hunger and nutrition cues.
Which is a darn good thing because I can make some darn tasty stuff. Praise the Lord my dietitians and doctors reprogramed my brain to realize that dessert is a tally and shouldn’t be shunned or feared. Keeping it balanced, friends!
These Lemon Cream Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups are a great way to balance your day!
Easter weekend. Jesus lives. Celebrate with family. Joy inspired. Spring food. Easter reminds me of all Jesus saved me from. I could be dead because of my rules surrounding food. But instead, he gave me life! And so I celebrate by embracing the joy of this life of freedom he’s given me – in all the ways!
My mom asked me to bring dessert to Easter dinner on Sunday, so besides an Oreo pie for my boys and the other chocolate lovers in our family, I’m bringing these Lemon Cream Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups. These say spring, fresh, and happy. It’s good to celebrate with food. So I say, make the most of the food we eat by making it right for the occasion. Don’t overeat and ruin it, but savor the tastes in moderation and balance.
Leman Cream Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups
Sugar Cookie Cups
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice fresh or bottled
- 1 tsp lemon zest optional (but puts the flavor over the top)
- strawberries quartered or halved
For the Sugar Cookie Cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and beat until well-mixed dough forms.
- Put a tablespoon of dough into each mini muffin cup. No need to press down. I usually get between 54-56 cups out of the dough.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Immediately after taking out of the oven, press the cups down using the handle of a wooden spoon or a specific tool like mine.
- Let cool before popping out of the pan to fill with the cream.
For the Lemon Cream
- Cream the butter and vanilla until smooth. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and salt and beat until incorporated. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix until just mixed in. Add the rest of the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop the cream into a piping bag or a large plastic storage bag works just as well. Squeeze the cream toward one corner and cut off a small piece of the corner. Pipe the cream into each cup until just level with the top.
- Top with one or two berries. Nibble or pop an entire cup in at once! Enjoy!